May 4, 2023

Back pain is one of the most common health problems that people face, with up to 80% of individuals experiencing it at some point in their lives. This pain can range from mild to severe and may be caused by a variety of factors, including injury, muscle strain, or underlying medical conditions.


When it comes to seeking help for back pain, it can be challenging to know which professional to turn to for Back Pain Therapy in Aurora. There are several options, including primary care physicians, chiropractors, physical therapists, and orthopedic specialists, among others.


The best professional for back pain ultimately depends on the severity of the pain, the underlying cause, and the individual’s medical history. In this article, we will explore the different types of professionals who can help with back pain and what to expect from each.

READ MORE:  Take Good Care of your Elderly Parents with These 5 Tips

Different Types of Professionals for Back Pain

Several professionals specialize in treating back pain. The type of healthcare professional you see for back pain depends on the severity of your symptoms, medical history, and other factors.

Primary Care Physicians

A primary care physician can treat mild to moderate cases of back pain. They can also provide referrals to specialists in cases where the patient requires further evaluation or treatment.


Chiropractors treat back pain by manipulating the spine using various manual techniques. They are an excellent option for people with acute or subacute back pain.

Physical Therapists

Physical therapists help people with chronic back pain improve their mobility and reduce pain by using exercises, stretches, and other techniques.

READ MORE:  Does Acupuncture Really Help?

Pain Management Specialists

Pain management specialists are physicians who specialize in treating chronic pain conditions. They can offer numerous treatment options to relieve chronic back pain, including medication, nerve blocks, and spinal injections.

Orthopedic Surgeons

Orthopedic surgeons are specialists who are trained in surgical procedures related to bones, muscles, and joints. An orthopedic surgeon should be considered only in cases where nonsurgical options have failed and surgery is the only viable option.

Which One is the Best and Why?

The type of specialist for back pain treatment largely depends on the patient’s symptoms, medical history, and other factors.


In general, a primary care physician is the first healthcare professional you should see for mild to moderate back pain. They can provide referrals to specialists if required.

READ MORE:  Guidelines for a faster recovery post dental bonding


Suppose mild to moderate back pain persists despite initial treatments. In that case, chiropractors, physical therapists, or pain management specialists are an excellent option.


Pain management specialists, in particular, are highly trained to assess and treat chronic pain conditions.


Orthopedic surgeons should be considered only in cases where nonsurgical options have failed and surgery is the only viable option.


For further details about physical therapy in Aurora, IL, you can consult our professionals at Physical Therapy Advantage.

How to Consult Based on Your Symptoms?

When consulting a specialist for back pain, it is important to have a clear understanding of your symptoms and when they first appeared.

READ MORE:  Why is Shoulder Physiotherapy an Essential Part of Rehabilitation


Describing the kind of pain you are experiencing (dull, sharp, burning, etc.), the duration of the pain, and any activities that may have triggered it can help the specialist get a better idea of what is causing your back pain.


It is also helpful to let the specialist know what treatment you have already tried before consulting them. In addition to describing your symptoms and past treatments, it is also essential to provide other relevant information such as overall health history, lifestyle factors that may be contributing to the pain (e.g., work environment or exercise routine), and any prior medical conditions that could be related.

READ MORE:  The Growing Demand for Live-In Care Jobs: Trends and Opportunities


This information can help the specialist understand your condition better and make an informed diagnosis.


It’s essential to seek medical attention from a specialist if you experience any of the following symptoms:


  • Back pain that lasts longer than a few days
  • Pain that spreads down your leg or arm
  • Numbness or weakness in your legs or arms
  • Loss of bowel or bladder control


Consulting a specialist is highly recommended if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above.

Common Treatment Options Available for Chronic Back Pain

The type of treatment prescribed for chronic or severe back pain varies considerably depending on the patient’s condition. Some of the more common treatment options are:

READ MORE:  What Are The Benefits Of Massage Therapy?


  • Physical Therapy: Physical therapists use exercises, stretches, and other techniques to relieve chronic back pain and improve mobility.
  • Medications: Several medications can help relieve back pain, including muscle relaxants, opioid painkillers, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
  • Spinal Injections: Injecting medications directly into the spine can help relieve chronic back pain.
  • Surgery: Surgery is an option in cases where nonsurgical options have failed and the patient’s quality of life is severely affected.


Back pain can be a debilitating condition, which is why seeking medical attention from a specialist is crucial. The type of specialist for back pain treatment depends on the patient’s symptoms and medical history.

READ MORE:  What is Done in Neuro Rehabilitation?


Chiropractors, physical therapists, pain management specialists, and orthopedic surgeons are some of the professionals who treat chronic or severe back pain.


We recommend you contact our professionals at Physical Therapy Advantage in Aurora and know about all the details.



{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}